Monday, June 13, 2011

Good News or Bad News?

AP Photo/Eddie Kolenovsky

Roberto deVincenzo, the famous Argentine golfer, once won a tournament, and after
receiving the check and smiling for the cameras, he went to the clubhouse and prepared to
leave. Sometime later he walked alone to his car in the parking lot and was approached by a
young woman. She congratulated him on his victory and then told him that her child was
seriously ill and near death.

DeVincenzo was touched by her story and took out his pen and endorsed his winning
check for payment to the woman. “Make some good days for the baby,” he said as he pressed
the check in her hand.

The next week he was having lunch in a country club when a PGA official came to his
table. “Some of the guys in the parking lot last week told me you met a young woman there
after you won the tournament,” deVincenzo nodded. “Well,” said the official, “I have news for
you. She’s a phony. She’s not married. She has no sick baby. She fleeced you, my friend.”
“You mean there is no baby who is dying?” said deVincenzo.
“That’s right.”
“That’s the best news I’ve heard all week,” said deVincenzo.

Good news or bad news? It depends on how you see
things. You can be bitter after cheated. Or you can
choose to move on with your life..
 ***

I still remember three years ago when I was on my way to fetch my friend at Jalan Genting Klang, one Indian with his motorcycle was approaching me. He stopped my car. Of course I was afraid and started to panic because most of the time, their intention was clear. They want to rob you. Immediately, I locked my door and I was slightly open my car window to asked him what do he want.

He was begging me and said,"Mister, I'm sorry to stopped to you but could you lend me RM10. You see my motorbike's tires went flat. I need to change my tire but I don't have enough money. Can you please lend me some money."

Of course, I don't dare to go open my door to see how flat his tire was. But, I said,"I don't have so much money but I could lend you some." I opened my wallet and lend him RM5. He was so grateful and promised to return my money but I asked him to donate to the temple or charity organization. I was relieved not because I able to avoid myself been robbed but I able to helped those in need.

Well, I believe there are a lot of swindlers especially in KL but what if the Indian guy really need the money. Maybe in other people's perception, I'm a very stupid guy but you will never understand how the feeling of helping other people. Satisfaction is the best word to describe it.

When I donated RM1 to the beggar, everyone started to look at me as I was cheated by the 'kesian-ness' of the beggar. I believe not most of us are lucky enough to live in a good environment, eat three meals a day, have own transportations, surfing Internet at home for 24 hours without need to worry where to find money to buy the next meals.

You can be bitter after cheated but for me,I choose to move on with my life.

Good night.

2 comments:

kalaulah... said...

Very comforting. Thank you for sharing.

Vincent Goh said...

Your welcome. Thanks for dropping by.