Sunday, December 8, 2013

19. Languages

I regret. When I was around five or six years old, I decided to choose Cantonese over Hokkien to master. Now none of my family members know how to speak Hokkien except my dad, my aunt (my dad's elder sister), my uncle (my dad's younger brother) and my another uncle (my dad's youngest brother). Once my grandma passed away three years ago, no one speak of that language in my house anymore. That's mean until my generation, the language will completely die out.

I regret. When I was studying in primary school, I decided to choose Malay language over English to master. The reason is because, I thought if I can do well in the country I don't have to worry to go to oversea. Consequences? I have had difficulty when people started using English in conversation and I have had difficulty in writing. I worked so hard and read so many books just to get my English 'corrected'. What a nightmare!

I kinda sad, rather than, regret that my parents didn't send me to Chinese school because knowing Chinese will totally improve my knowledge since there are so many Chinese books out there that is waiting for people to explore. But is ok because I can start now. Better late than never, right? Well, if I need to take six years to master Malay and thirteen years to master English... probably I can take around five to ten years to master Chinese?


p/s: Besides Cantonese, English and Malay, I also want to master Chinese, Japanese and Hokkien because... Lifelong Learning.
p/p/s: That picture kinda nice, right? I generate it by using Tagxedo! You can try it too.

No comments: