Tuesday, December 31, 2013

25. Looking back my "2013 Resolution"


My goals for myself this year: 
1) Eat more fruits and sleep early.  
2) Spend more time with my family and friends. 
3) Have a regular exercise and meditation. 
4) Enjoy my life and be more adventurous. 
5) Be more confident.  
My goals as a Future Mathematician and Statistician this year: 
1) Master Multivariate Analysis, Stochastic Analysis and Advanced Matrix Algebra.  
2) Master the use of Matlab, SAS, R, EXCEL and SPSS. 
3) To finish read: 
i. The Princeton Companion To Mathematics - Timothy Gowers 
ii. Reading Statistics and Research - Schuyler W. Huck 
iii. Euler's Gem (The Polyhedron Formula and The Birth of Topology) -David S. Richeson 
iv. Prime Obsession (Bernhard Riemann and the Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics) - John Derbyshire 
v. Honors Class  (Hilbert's Problems And Their Solvers) - Benjamin H. Yandell 
vi. Numerical Analysis for Statisticians - Kenneth Lange 
vii.100 Statistical Tests - Gopal K Kanji

Looking back at my list, I'm not doing that much this year.

  • (2) Well, I spent a lot of time with my family especially with my mom. If staying at home and helping her for 365 days doesn't count. I don't know what does.
  • (5) Be more confident. After working at cafe for few months and by learning how to handle my boss, colleagues and customers. I think I'm more confident and comfortable with people. I think I'm quite ok now.
  • I got an A for my Multivariate Analysis, B for Stochastic Analysis and B for Advanced Matrix Algebra. To be honest, if grading system based on understanding of the subject rather than memory power then I think I'm deserved a lower grade. Well, at least I'm passed!
  • I'm able to master R and Excel. Since Matlab and SAS are not free (and I'm not able to download it), I will give it a byebye. SPSS? Next time, maybe...maybe not.
  • I spent my whole November and December month reading Euler's Gem, Prime Obsession, The Honors Class and 100 Statistical Tests. Conclusion: I need to read even more and work harder to achieve my goal. 

For the rest of undone goals, I will keep it for next year!

On an unrelated note, I went to my cousin's wedding last Saturday at Sunway Pyramid. I didn't take any photos at the wedding but my mom and I took a few photos outside the wedding hall.


My mom and I at the Sunway Pyramid.